This quick, simple, and easy recipe for healthy air fry carrots is perfect for a delicious side dish. The carrots are “roasted” in the air fryer, and so flavourful with a crispy outside and tender inside. A touch of fresh dill is the cherry on top!
Roasted Carrots Made Perfect In The Air Fryer
I’m thrilled to be sharing an air fryer recipe with you today. I hope my latest Air fryer recipes have convinced you to get one of your own!
Air Fryers have gained huge popularity over the past year and it’s no surprise. This small kitchen appliance is incredibly easy to use and gives so many different foods that delicious crispy, crunchy fried edge that a deep fryer does… without the deep-frying!
My delicious and super simple recipe for healthy air fryer carrots shows how easy it is to use the air fryer to make perfectly cooked sides that amplify any meal.
We enjoyed these air fryer roasted carrots the other evening with chicken breast and rice and they were the star of the meal. Even Julian, my little 8-month old gobbled the carrots (cut into small pieces of course) right up!
Air Fry Carrots Ingredients
When I say this air fryer roasted carrots recipe is incredibly simple, I mean it is incredibly simple. You can definitely change up the herbs or add your own medley of spices and seasonings if you wish!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4-5 large carrots
- Sea salt
- Avocado oil or olive oil
- Fresh dill
How To Make Roasted, Tender Air Fryer Tortilla Carrots
When it comes to making the best carrots in the air fryer, there’s only a few simple steps to follow!
1. Start by peeling large loose carrots, then cut them into 3 equal sections, then slice in half lengthwise to create similar-sized pieces.
2. Next, preheat your air fryer for 3 minutes.
3. Add the carrots to a bowl with oil (avocado or olive) and sea salt and toss to coat.
4. Place carrots in the air fryer basket (be sure not to overlap the carrots too much for more even cooking).
5. Air fry for 15 minutes at 400 degrees, removing the basket at the 10-minute mark to shake the basket and arrange the carrots in a single layer. This will help them to cook evenly so that no parts are more cooked than another.
6. Remove the air fryer basket when the cooking time is done and place carrots back to the original bowl with the oil and salt, and add in chopped dill, then toss once more to coat.
7. Transfer the roasted air fryer carrots to a serving dish and enjoy!
I was able to fit 4 very large carrots in my 6-Quart Air Fryer , but if you want to make a really large amount you’ll have to work in a couple batches.
Try A Vegetable Medley: Another time when making these air fryer roasted carrots, I added in broccoli and cauliflower florets at the 10 minute mark and piled them on top of the carrots for the last 5 minutes of cooking. It was a delicious combination of roasting veggies and all the veggies were perfectly roasted!
How do you steam carrots in an air fryer?/ How to roast carrots in air fryer?
Because of the mechanism of the air fryer, the carrots will resemble roasted carrots more than they will steamed. Adding excess water to an air fryer can actually damage it as air fryers are meant to crisp food and not to create or add moisture the way that steaming or boiling would.
To summarize, for truly steamed carrots that are not crispy, but are soft and tender on the inside and outside, I recommend going with the stove-top method rather than using an air fryer!
How much is an air fryer?
Air fryers cost and price will vary depending on a lot of factors including brands and size. While a small 2-quart air fryer can be found for under $50, the amount of food that it can cook at one time is much less than a 6 or 8-quart air fryer.
If you plan on only making a portion or two’s worth of food at a time then a cheaper 2-quart air fryer should suffice but if you want the option to cook larger pieces of meats or enough food to share with the family, opt for a larger one. The price on larger ones can range between $150-$300 depending on how many added features you want, like having a grill addition.
Can you put foil in an air fryer?
Unlike a microwave, you can place foil into an air fryer. This is because an air fryer is actually more like a tiny convection oven pushing around hot air. You should not line the bottom of your air fryer with foil though as the air will be blocked by the foil wall it creates as it tries to circulate.
Are air fryers healthy?
Yes, compared to eating deep-fried foods, an air fryer is a much healthier option because no added or unnecessary fats are added. You just cook a food item and it turns out deliciously crisp. Eating unhealthy foods in the air fryer is still a better choice than cooking them in other ways.
How to preheat air fryer
Turn your air fryer onto the desired heat of choice and allow for it to cook for 3-5 minutes before actually filling it with your intended item of choice. This will get it nicely warmed up so that your food cooks more evenly and quickly.
Air Fried Carrots Flavour Variations
To change it up you can add some delicious twists to these air fryer carrots! Here’s some inspiration:
- Maple Rosemary: Add 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup to the olive oil, salt, and pepper to toss with the carrots before cooking, then omit the dill and toss the cooked carrots with 1 teaspoon of finely chopped fresh rosemary.
- Cilantro Lime: Bring in the lime with this delicious twist! When the carrots are done cooking in the air fryer, omit the dill, and instead toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of lime zest and 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro.
- Garlic Butter: Swap the olive oil for melted vegan butter (or regular) and add in 2 cloves of minced garlic with the salt and pepper to toss with the carrots before frying.
Do you have own an air fryer yet? What type of delicious snacks or meals have you tried? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Recipes You’ll Love: