This delicious dairy free french toast is so easy to make it takes only 5-minutes and is healthy, gluten free, and perfect for any day of the week!
Dairy Free French Toast
When it comes to quick and easy breakfasts, this dairy French toast should be at the top of your list! I make this recipe at least once a week because it feels a little special but can be whipped up so fast on a weekday it doesn’t need to be categorized as a weekend-only dish.
French toast has often been known to be more indulgent and something you might only enjoy at a breakfast cafe or a brunch out with friends. It traditionally contains heavy cream butter, and powdered sugar so a classic French toast wouldn’t be dairy free. No fret! For all of you who need dairy free options because of an allergy or just like to limit your dairy intake, this French toast recipe is the perfect healthier alternative.
How To Make French Toast Dairy Free (and healthier!)
Making classic French toast dairy free (and gluten free for that matter) as well as healthier is incredibly easy. Here are the simple swaps you need to make:
- Swap heavy cream for almond milk or another non-dairy milk of choice
- Swap butter for olive oil or vegan butter like Earth Balance
- Swap powdered sugar for only pure maple syrup
- Swap regular French bread for a gluten free grainy bread of your choice
- Load on the berries and sliced banana for extra antioxidants
Ingredients for Dairy Free French Toast
For this 5-minute recipe you only need a handful of ingredients, many of which you probably already have in your kitchen or pantry. If you are new to dairy free eating or gluten free eating, this recipe is a great way to get you into the groove as you’ll see just how easy it is to enjoy a dairy-laden classic, sans cow! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sliced gluten free bread of choice (be sure it’s dairy free too, although most is!)
- Large organic eggs
- Unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk of choice
- Vegan butter or olive oil
- Vanilla extract
- Pure maple syrup
How to Prepare the French Toast in a Pan or Skillet
To make this delicious French toast recipe you literally need just 5 minutes and a hot pan or skillet. It’s so quick and easy I even make this recipe on my rushed mornings to get my daughter to preschool!
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Whisk together the eggs, almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the gluten free bread slices in the mixture, coating both sides liberally.
- Heat a pan or skillet over medium-high heat and add in the butter or oil.
- Add the wet bread slices to the pan or skillet, one or two at a time if there’s room.
- Cook for 2 minutes then flip and cook another 2 minutes until both sides are nicely golden brown.
I love delicious breakfast dishes that taste indulgent but are also healthy and allergen-friendly for a people with a dairy allergy or intolerance like myself. Who says we can’t enjoy the classics…with a twist?!
Are you a fan of French toast? Have you ever tried the dairy free version or are you all about the dairy? Tell me about it in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
Have a lovely day!
Christal // NITK