I can’t believe it’s already nearing the end of October. It truly amazes me how fast the time seems to go by with a little one. Not that it didn’t already fly by before having Hemlsey, but I do feel like my days are currently a blur and everything is broken up into 4-hour intervals. I am doing my best to take time each day to slow down, breathe deeply, and soak in the moment whether it be a little messy or totally peaceful.
How has your October been so far? Have you enjoyed the Fall weather, colder days, and your fair share of pumpkin yet?
We’ve been dealing with somewhat of a sleep dilemma here at home (I talked about this on my Instagram & IG stories and received tons of tips and encouragement which was amazing!) so the week has definitely been challenging to say the least, but I still managed to reshoot this older recipe of mine and was sure to actually sit down to enjoy it!
When I first created these pumpkin parfaits I used pumpkin puree mixed with pear, pure maple syrup, ground nutmeg, and cinnamon, but because this is still such a popular post on NITK I chose to revamp the recipe a tad and put up some shiny new photos.
I found in the original recipe that the pumpkin and pear mixture was a little too intense, and I made the switch to creating a rich and velvety pumpkin pie cashew cream to layer between the yogurt and granola in these parfaits.
The pumpkin pie cashew cream still has a definite pumpkin flavour from the pure pumpkin pureé (whoa that’s a lot of pppp’s!) but it also has a nice richness from the cashews and is sweetened perfectly with the pear and maple syrup. Instead of just nutmeg and cinnamon I used a pre-blended pumpkin pie spice mix for ease and extra flavour.
In the original recipe I used plain Greek yogurt and organic nut granola to layer with the pumpkin, but for this version I’ve swapped out the Greek yogurt for coconut yogurt because of my dairy allergy (I didn’t have a known issue with dairy in 2012 when I first posted this!), so it’s totally up to you which yogurt you choose to use.
These parfaits make a lovely breakfast or snack to enjoy during the day and with the mixture of yogurt, pumpkin, pear, and granola they are loaded with digestion boosting probiotics and fibre so your body will thank you for all the love and goodness.
I have to admit, amidst the sleep-deprivation and baby challenges that overtook past week, these delicious and perfectly pumpkiny parfaits were a nice treat for both Justin and I! Hemsley even enjoyed some of the pumpkin pureé herself! I gave her a few spoonfuls as I was making the recipe as we are very slowly introducing her to some solids and so far she’s loving everything she’s tried. Hopefully this is the beginning of a positive new food experience for her!
- Pumpkin Pie Cashew Cream:
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ very ripe pear (cored)
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups plain (or naturally sweetened vanilla) coconut yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1 cup + ¼ cup your favourite gluten free granola (I used Glutenull Quinoa Granola)
- the Pumpkin Pie Cashew Cream
- Prepare the pumpkin pie cashew cream first.
- Soak the cashews in the ½ cup water for 1 hour minimum, then drain and add to a high speed blender.
- Add in the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, pear, and salt and blend until completely smooth.
- Remove from the blender with a spatula and transfer to a bowl*.
- Using 4 small jars, add ¼ cup of yogurt to the bottom of each jar.
- Next, layer ¼ cup granola over the yogurt in each jar.
- Next, divide the pumpkin pie cashew cream between the 4 jars, layering over the granola.
- Divide the remaining yogurt between each jar layering over the pumpkin cream, and then finish by topping each jar with 1 tablespoon of the granola.
Have a wonderful Sunday,