This super simple, super fast recipe has been a staple in our house lately. The hubby and I have both been slacking in the planning-ahead-department, so for at least a few nights we’ve decided to whip up this dish because it’s fast and still incredibly yummy, balanced, and healthy!
I forgot to submit my SPUD order the other week (aghk!) and so I missed getting our regular weekly grocery delivery which meant the food was sparse and we were all out of fresh meat proteins! That is what sparked the idea for this recipe. I had a can of beans in the pantry, some salsa in the fridge, guacamole, cilantro, lime, these yummy locally made corn tortillas, and eggs, which make a great meat-free protein option!
I always aim to balance out my main meals by choosing a healthy complex carbohydrate, a good source of protein, some healthy fats, and of course, veggies!
This meal meets all of that criteria with the complex carbohydrates from the black beans and corn tortillas, the protein from the eggs (and a little extra from the beans!), the fats from the avocado, and salsa for some “veggies”! I also added extra raw veggies on the side to make sure I was getting enough!
These simple, healthy ingredients combine perfectly to create a wonderful mix of flavours and textures and of course, the best part, this recipe literally takes 10 minutes to whip up!
Being short on time, or just not having the energy to make a more elaborate meal is common to everyone, so having a nice, quick, go-to option like this, that is still healthy and wonderfully balanced is a handy tool to have in the shed!
What is your favourite healthy 10-minute go-to meal when the time is short but you still want to stay on track? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6 small corn tortilla shells
- 1 cup black beans, organic from the can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- ½ cup prepared salsa + ½ cup prepared salsa for garnishing
- ½ cup prepared store-bought guacamole, or 1 whole ripe avocado, mashed
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 lime
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add in coconut oil.
- Add in beans and ½ cup salsa and stir to combine.
- Create wells in the bean mixture and crack in the eggs and add in the egg whites.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and cover for 5 minutes as eggs cook.
- Meanwhile, warm tortilla shells in another small pan.
- Divide tortilla shells between 2 plates.
- Divide the egg and bean mixture between the corn tortillas and top each with the remaining salsa, some guacamole (or mashed avocado), a squeeze of fresh lime, and fresh cilantro.
Have a fantastic Sunday!
Nutritionist in the Kitch