These seriously delicious air fryer pizza rolls are homemade, so simple to put together, and healthy as they are done in the air fryer vs. a deep fryer (but you’d never know!). They are crispy on the outside and have all the gooey pizza goodness on the inside. There’s a dairy free option too!
Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
If you don’t own an Air Fryer yet (*affiliate link), I definitely recommend adding one to your must-have list. This small kitchen appliance is incredibly easy to use and gives so many different foods that delicious crispy, crunchy fried edge that a deep fryer does… without the deep frying!
This delicious and super easy recipe for healthy homemade pizza rolls shows just how simple it is to use the air fryer and how quickly you can enjoy pizza rolls, perfect for dipping!
Do pizza rolls taste good in an air fryer?
If my hubby were to answer this question for you I can guarantee it would be a YES. He devoured these pizza rolls and my two kiddos loves them as well. The air fryer gives pizza rolls a great crispy, crunchy exterior and keeps the inside warm and melty.
What I love about the air fryer vs deep fried pizza rolls is that they are not greasy at all.
Frozen pizza rolls that are pre-cooked in a deep fryer then made at home in the oven are often very oily and greasy whereas these pizza rolls get crispy without the greasy fingers!
How do you cook pizza rolls in the air fryer?
To make homemade pizza rolls in the air fryer you can follow the steps in the recipe to create the pizza filling, then wrap the filling up using egg roll wrappers. Once you have all of your pizza rolls wrapped up nicely you simply line them in the bottom of the pre-heated air fryer basket (pre-heat for 2 minutes), then put the basket in, set the cook time and temperature, and press start!
I recommend air frying homemade pizza rolls for 8-10 minutes at 370 degrees, flipping them halfway through.
Also, one thing to note is that you don’t want to put too many pizza rolls in the air fryer or they won’t get as crispy. While I started with 8 rolls, I found I had more success when their were only 6 rolls in the air fryer at a time.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
To make these delicious rolls you don’t need a ton of ingredients and you can make substitutions as you prefer. Pizza is such a personal preference food – some love traditional pepperoni, others love ham and pineapple, some prefer meat lovers, and others are all about the veggie deluxe!
For my homemade air fryer pizza rolls I went with a simple and somewhat classic combination but made sure to bring in some veggie goodness for that extra boost of nutrition. Here’s what you’ll need:
- shredded mozzarella cheese (dairy free shredded cheese works great as well but melts with a less thick and gooey consistency as regular cheese)
- store-bought pizza sauce
- green bell pepper
- lean back bacon (or you can also use turkey bacon, another cooked meat of choice, or swap for another veggie option for vegetarian)
- olive oil
- egg roll wrappers (for gluten free you can make your own gluten free egg rolls wrappers from scratch as they are not available to buy as far as I know)
How To Make Step By Step
To make these pizza rolls you’ll need to follow a few simple steps. You’ll likely be surprised at how easy the rolls come together and how quickly they crisp up to perfection.
1. Slice the green pepper and mushrooms and set aside.
2. In a small pan, fry the back bacon until browned then remove and chop into small pieces.
3. In the same frying pan, with some oil, saute the mushrooms for a few minutes until soft.
4. Add the mushrooms, diced bacon, green pepper, shredded cheese, and pizza sauce into a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
5. On a clean surface brush the sides and edges of an egg roll wrapper with olive oil then scoop a heaping tablespoon of the pizza mixture in the middle of the wrapper.
6. Fold in both the opposite corners of the egg roll to meet in the middle over the filling, then roll up the other edge until the entire wrapper is rolled around the filling.
7. Brush the exposed corner of the wrapper with oil to seal the wrapper shut and repeat the process until you have made 6-8 pizza rolls.
8. Preheat the air fryer for 2 minutes at 370. Once heated, place the pizza rolls in the bottom of the air fryer basket, spacing them out evenly. Set the time for 10 minutes at 370 degrees then start.
9. At the 5 minute mark remove the basket and flip the pizza rolls then fry again for 3-5 minutes, until completely crispy all around.
10. Serve hot and crispy with a side of pizza sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Pizza Roll Flavour Ideas and Substitutions:
- Veggie Deluxe: Swap out the ham for more veggie goodness like diced red pepper or artichokes for a vegetarian friendly version.
- Ham & Pineapple: Bring in that classic ham and pineapple flavour by swapping out the mushrooms for canned pineapple (just ensure the pineapple pieces are drained well and pat with paper towel to soak up extra moisture as that could make your pizza rolls soggy).
- Greek: Swap out 1/4 cup of the mozzarella for feta cheese, then remove the mushrooms and add in black olive and red onion to the mixture for a Greek inspired twist.
Have you ever tried Air Fryer Pizza Rolls? Tell me what you’d put in yours in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer
- Loaded Air Fryer Nachos
- Air Fryer Tilapia with Easy Mango Salsa
- Best Air Fried Potato Wedges
- Juicy Air Fryer Burger
Have a great day!
Christal // NITK