It’s officially December! Today you’ll find me decorating our Christmas tree, blasting the holiday tunes, sipping on peppermint tea (maybe some wine too!), and munching away on at least a few sweet chocolaty treats.
Speaking of the holidays, chocolate, and treats, I’ve got a recipe that combines it all for you today…with a healthy hint of gut-boosting superfoods! How’s that for a ‘Welcome to December’ post?? Over the past month I’ve been experimenting with Genuine Health’s new fermented organic gut superfoods+ powders and was able to sneak the Orange Ginger powder into these luxurious and delicious chocolate truffles.
Each truffle contains a tasty balance of healthy fats, antioxidants, protein, and a ton of plant-based superfoods that bring in gut-boosting prebiotic fibre…although, you wouldn’t know it by the natural sweetness and rich, soft, chocolaty texture.
When I was experimenting with the gut superfoods+ powder, I was pleasantly surprised at how light and fine it was. Unlike heavy, dense, or gritty protein or greens powders, the Genuine Health superfoods+ powder was the perfect texture for these truffles as it blended wonderfully with the rest of the ingredients and didn’t take away from the classic truffle texture I was going for.
I honestly think these are the most nutritionally-loaded treats I’ve made on the blog yet. The gut superfoods+ powder contains 21 plant-based superfood fruits, vegetables and culinary herbs and spices including spirulina, black currant, carrot, pomegranate, apricot, ginger, and cocoa seed to name a few. These superfoods are fermented which improves digestion and helps promote a healthy gut environment.
Around the holidays, with all the treats, heavy meals, cocktails, and ‘Christmas cheer’, our digestive systems can get a little overburdened to say the least, so these gut superfoods bring in a little boost and balance.
What else did I pack into these tasty little truffles? A whole lot of goodness!
Avocados to add richness and a creamy texture, dates and pure maple syrup to bring in natural sweetness, orange zest and juice for a little touch of vitamin C and orange zing, and antioxidant-rich raw cocao powder and 70% dark chocolate for that decadent chocolate taste.
Of course, truffles are even that much better when rolled in fun and delicious coatings. I used melted dark chocolate, chocolate shavings, raw cocao powder, and cocao nibs to create extra texture, flavour, and a fun look to the truffles.
With a little pinch of orange zest to garnish, these truffles are complete, ready to be passed around and enjoyed at your next holiday gathering, or simply at home on a Sunday afternoon while partaking in some Christmas traditions like I am today.
If you are interested in learning more about the Genuine Health fermented organic gut superfoods+ and want to know exactly where you can find it, visit the Genuine Health website here and list of local and online retailers.
Are you taking any steps to boost your digestive health over the holidays? Water with lemon, probiotics, special superfoods? I’d love to read about it in the comments below!
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked (soak in hot water for 20 minutes to soften, then drain)
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (I used freshly squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped 70% dark chocolate, melted
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons raw cocao powder
- 1 scoop Genuine Health fermented organic gut superfoods+ Orange Ginger (alternatively you can use an additional 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder)
- Optional Truffle Coatings:
- 1 tablespoon raw cocao powder
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate shavings
- 2 tablespoons raw cocoa nibs
- ¼ cup chopped 70% dark chocolate +1/2 tsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Soak the dates, drain, then add to a food processor.
- Add the avocado, maple syrup, orange juice, and melted chocolate to the food processor with the dates and process for 1-2 minutes, stopping periodically to scrape the sides with a spatula until the mixture starts to become smooth (you want to make sure there are no large chunks of dates remaining).
- Next, add in the cocoa powder and superfoods+ powder and process again for 1-2 minutes, stopping periodically to scrape the sides with a spatula until the mixture is thick, smooth, and well combined.
- Using a spatula transfer the mixture from the food processor to a bowl.
- Place the bowl in the freezer for 30-minutes to chill, allowing the truffle mixture to harden.
- Meanwhile, take 3 small plates and place the coating ingredients on each plate (cocoa powder, chocolate shavings, and cocoa nibs).
- Melt the dark chocolate with the coconut oil and transfer to a small bowl, then set aside.
- When the truffle mixture has chilled for the full 30-minutes, remove from the freezer and using clean, slightly wet hands (this will prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands), roll the mixture into 1" balls, working quickly as to not warm the mixture up too much with your hands.
- Make approximately 14 truffles.
- Place the truffles on a large plate and then roll each truffle into one of the coating options and set back on the plate.**
- Place all the coated truffles back into the freezer until ready to serve.
- Allow the truffles to thaw for 5-10 minutes and sprinkle with a pinch of orange zest before serving.
I do want to note that while testing out the Genuine Health fermented organic gut superfoods+ powder I was pretty impressed by the potency of the prebiotics! I actually found the full 1-scoop serving to be a little intense for my system (ie. verrry cleansing!). I would recommend if you have a more sensitive digestive system like I do, simply ease into the full serving by starting with a 1/4 scoop and increasing the amount slowly over a week or two until you are enjoying the full scoop.
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Christal // NITK
*DISCLAIMER: THIS POST HAS BEEN SPONSORED BY GENUINE HEALTH BUT AS ALWAYS THE THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND A BRAND I DO NOT STAND BEHIND AND ONLY SHARE THOSE I HOPE YOU TOO WILL ENJOY. THANK YOU FOR CONTINUING TO SUPPORT THE LIFE AND GROWTH OF NUTRITION IN THE KITCH!