Hemsley is full of words these days. Her brain is seriously a little sponge, the more we say a certain word, the more likely she is to say it back. Over the last month she’s perfected “aunty”, “uncle”, “ dino” (her big stuffed dinosaur), “eggs”, “ball”, “baby”, “water”, and “berries”.. although she says it more like “bawwwies”.
Hemsley LOVES berries. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries, she loves them all and typically tends to tie-dye her clothes whenever she eats them. I love berries too and lately we’ve both been loading up on blueberries.
This time of year blueberries are so flavourful, juicy, and fresh! I knew it was time to incorporate these little blues into a recipe so today I’ve teamed up with BiomeBliss to bring you these delicious Layered Blueberry Oat Jars.
This recipe brings in the delicious flavour of overnight oats but comes together in a snap… no waiting! Aside from the amazing taste the jars are also loaded with ‘biome boosting prebiotics.
You may be more familiar with PRObiotics, the bacteria found in supplements and some foods that help to colonize the gut with healthy bacteria, but PREbiotics on the other hand are the foods that help to FEED the bacteria in your intestines to help them thrive and grow.
While it’s great to take probiotics to help bring more healthy bacteria into your body, the best way to build a better microbiome is to also feed that bacteria.
This delicious jar recipe contains naturally occurring prebiotics called beta-glucans which come from oats that help protect the mucus lining of the gut and support the immune system. It also contains specific antioxidants from blueberries that stimulate the growth of healthy bacteria that boost microbiome health.
While it would be great to eat tons of oats and blueberries all day every day, that likely doesn’t happen for most of us, so BiomeBliss has created a delicious, natural berry-flavored powder that mixes easily with water for convenience, or you can add the powder to recipes like this one.
The powder is formulated with nutrients isolated from blueberries, agave and oats providing those same beta-glucans, antioxidants, and inulin to feed your good gut bacteria!
In this recipe I blended the BiomeBliss powder with fresh blueberries to create the first layer, a smoothie-like consistency with great blueberry flavour. Next, I topped the blueberry layer with blended “overnight oats”… less the overnight part.
Chia seeds, oats, cinnamon, coconut yogurt, and vanilla create a rich and creamy lather that’s filling and so nice for your digestion. A little layer of natural unsweetened nut butter, fresh blueberries, and a perfect drizzle of honey (which you can also forego for a sugarless option) finishes the jars which can be easily closed shut and taken on-the-go!
- Blueberry Layer:
- 1 scoop BiomeBliss Powder
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon water
- Oat Layer:
- ⅔ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ cup plain unsweetened coconut yogurt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Other Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons Blueberry Layer
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons natural unsweetened nut butter of choice
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- Begin by creating the blueberry layer.
- In a small food processor or blender add the BiomeBliss powder, fresh blueberries, and water and blend until smooth. (if not using the powder blend the blueberries with the water and 2 teaspoons of honey)
- Using two 8oz jars, divide the blueberry mixture between the jars, reserving two tablespoons as a garnish.
- Rinse the blender or processor.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the Oat Layer ingredients, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Once thickened add to the blender or processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Divide half of the oat mixture between the two jars to top the blueberry layer.
- Top the oat layer in each jar with 1 tablespoon of nut butter then top with the remaining oat mixture.
- Finish by adding 1 tablespoon of the reserved blueberry mixture to each jar, then top with the fresh blueberries, and drizzle each with 1 teaspoon of honey for a sweeter option.
- Enjoy immediately or chill in the fridge for later.
I hope you are getting your fill of berries so far this summer and will give these jars a try! Be sure to pin the recipe photo below to save this one for later. I’ll definitely be making this recipe regularly for Hemsley and I this summer!