Ah, sunshine! I think we can officially start celebrating the warm weather here to stay. The sun is shining, the grass is turning a nice shade of green, and the huge trees that line my street are filling up with big green leaves to create the “tree tunnel” I love so much in our neighbourhood. I’ve now fully made the move on the blog from warming, comforting recipes to lightened up, warm-weather-inspired, portable, tasty, and easy recipes to get you through the next few months!
When it comes to lunches for warm days I’m all about salads, wraps, and sandwiches as you’ll find me pretty much on-the-go all Summer long (…considering I’ve been cooped up during our long Canadian winter. I think anyone else who lives in a similar climate zone can relate to that cabin fever feeling!).
When it comes to the on-the-go factor, one lunch in particular is a total winner. The wrap.
“The wrap” combines a whole bunch of filling and tasty ingredients rolled into a perfectly portable package, making a great “hand food” that can be enjoyed out and about with no utensils necessary, little to no mess, and all the flavour in each bite. Because I’m such a stickler for nutritional balance I always make sure to incorporate all of the macronutrients and veggie goodness into my wraps. That means complex carbohydrates, proteins, healthy fats, and fresh crunchy and juicy vegetables.
Todays post is also extra special because I’ve teamed up with Kamikoto Japan who is graciously gifting their Kamikoto 7-inch Santoku Chef’s Knife to one lucky winner! When I received my knife from Kamikoto I was blown away by its quality. Of course, being the kitchen dweller that I am, a knife is a very exciting thing for me, but I wanted to showcase in this post that you don’t need to be a 5-star chef to enjoy using a high quality chef’s knife.
You might just be making a simple wrap like this one, but using a knife that cuts through every ingredient like butter… ooo you’ll feel like the best wrap-makin’ chef there ever was.
I had so much fun slicing and dicing the chicken, avocado, tomatoes, and lettuce for this easy BLT wrap. I’ve had the same set of knives since I got married almost 6 years ago and while they are a high quality set, they definitely don’t slice, dice, and chop like this Kamikoto does. Whether you are a serious cook or a kitchen novice, you’ll enjoy this knife, and… if you are a fan of the BLT you’ll also enjoy this healthified wrap.
While a BLT wrap might not be known as the healthiest option out there, with a few additions, switches and swaps, it really can be quite nourishing. When it comes to the bacon I always recommend using a nitrate-free beef bacon (I get mine through my online grocer SPUD that sources their meat from local, organic farmers) that way I know I’m avoiding dangerous nitrates and other not-so-great additives that are often found in run-of-the-mill bacon. I also use organic tomatoes, lettuce, and real mayonnaise made with only a few simple ingredients.
To bring in some lean protein to this wrap I used organic chicken breast and I also added avocado for healthy fats and antioxidants. To add some kick to the mayonnaise dressing I used hot sauce and a dash of coconut palm sugar.
Finally, for the “wrap” itself, I used a gluten-free brown rice wrap. With this type of recipe I recommend always using a whole grain (or gluten-free if needed) wrap with minimal ingredients that are mostly, if not all, whole-food based. There are tons of healthy wrap options available on the market including whole-grain, sprouted grain, gluten-free, and even grain-free.
I hope you enjoy this summer inspired BLT wrap as much as I did and that you’ll enter the Kamikoto giveaway! Here are the two ways to enter:
- Complete the steps in the Rafflecopter Box below or…
- Head over to the Nutrition in the Kitch Instagram and enter directly on the post for this recipe!
I’ll be tallying up ALL the entries and picking a winner on Wednesday, June 7th, so be sure to get in as many entries as you can before then. Good luck! In the meantime, check out Kamikoto Japan on Facebook here!
WINNER SELECTED! Congratulations Danielle J!!
- 2 large whole-grain, gluten-free, or grain-free wraps of choice
- 5 ounces cooked chicken breast, chopped into small pieces
- 3 strips of crispy cooked nitrate-free beef bacon, crumbled into small pieces
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced into thin strips
- 5 romaine lettuce leaves, cut into smaller pieces
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 tablespoons real mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon of your favourite hot sauce
- Chop and slice the chicken breast, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and lettuce and crumble the bacon.
- In a medium sized bowl add the mayonnaise, coconut sugar, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add in the chicken, tomatoes, and bacon and mix with the mayonnaise dressing to coat everything.
- Place the two wraps on a flat surface and line each wrap with the avocado slices, then mash the avocado slightly to adhere it to the wrap.
- Next, layer the lettuce pieces over the mashed avocado layer.
- Divide the chicken mixture between the two wraps adding it to the centre of each wrap and then roll/fold up the wraps as you prefer.
- Slice each wrap in half and enjoy as is or heat using a grill press (ex. George Foreman grill)
Have a wonderful Sunday!