I’ve been Summer dreaming a lot lately.
I know, it’s only April, and Summer truly doesn’t make its way to YEG until the end of JUNE… seriously… but that doesn’t mean a girl can’t dream!
A sweet breeze whipping through my hair as I drive, arm hanging out the car window…..lying in the back yard, eyes closed, sun on my face creating a new batch of freckles….a crackling campfire and the sizzling of marshmallow skins just waiting to be smooshed between two graham crackers and a big hunk of chocolate...
Yeah, that kind of summer dreaming.
So to experience a little bit of Summer I decided to make one of my guilty Summer pleasures… s’mores… with a twist. S’more ICE CREAM.
Ooh yeah baby!
This recipe was a must-make because Apotheker’s Kitchen recently sent me a few boxes of their amazing Honey Sweetened Mallows. I’d been looking for healthier marshmallows for ages and was thrilled to come across the Apotheker’s instagram page, connect with them, and then proceed to beg them to send me some mallows… thanks again AK!!
For the base of my ice cream I used coconut milk, frozen bananas, honey, and lots of raw cocoa powder. Then, I toasted some of the healthy mallows over my gas range (no campfire? no problem!) and mixed and mashed the mallows into the ice cream.
Here’s a fun little video my Hubby and I made that shows how I did this (please excuse the shoddy filmography…this is something we are learning and plan to do more of in the near future so you should totally subscribe to my YouTube channel!).
I crushed up some Annie’s Organic Honey Graham Crackers (you can use a gluten free graham cracker if needed!) and sprinkled them generously over the ice cream.
Can you believe it?? Not a smidgen of refined sugars or dairy in this recipe with a flavour that was seriously, in my humble opinion, 10x better than regular ice cream!
After the sprinkling of graham I toasted another marshmallow and it was the “cherry on top”…. ooe-gooey, sticky, sweet, and oh so yummy!
The hubby was pretty much salivating over my shoulder as I snapped the photos, not that I can blame him! This dessert was the perfect fix for my Summer dreaming and the fact that it was made with all natural, healthy, whole food ingredients put a big smile on my face!
What is your favourite guilty Summer pleasure? Have you ever tried to make it healthier? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- In a blender add the cream of the coconut milk (scoop the cream that separates from the coconut water out of the can), honey, bananas, 2 of the marshmallows, and cocoa powder and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- After an hour, the mixture should be semi frozen, mash it together a bit to get a firmer consistency and place in the freezer for another 1 hour.
- After that time is up repeat by mashing it again until you have a good ice cream consistency.
- Toast two marshmallows over a flame of some sort (I used my gas range), add the marshmallows to the ice cream and mash/combine/stir them into the ice cream.
- Scoop the ice cream into two to three bowls and top each serving with the crushed graham crackers and then top each serving with another toasted marshmallow to garnish.
- DIG IN!
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Christal // NITK