This delicious 5-minute protein cookie dough recipe is edible raw (no baking necessary!), gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, and definitely a way to enjoy a healthy snack that’s packed with protein…and have your cookies too!
Edible Protein Cookie Dough…in Minutes!
When it comes to snacking there are so many options. You can grab something quick that might be relatively processed (think store-bought granola bar) or make a healthy homemade snack in minutes. Say hello to this protein cookie dough that will satisfy a sweet tooth while giving your body a nice dose of protein, healthy fats, and fibre!
This edible protein cookie dough is the perfect fix for an afternoon slump as it’s naturally sweet, packed with protein to help stabilize and slow the sugar absorption, and it’s filling and satisfying.
A spoonful here and there is a great way for me to satisfy those sweet cravings without grabbing something less healthy instead!
Ingredients in Protein Cookie Dough
For this super easy protein cookie dough recipe you’ll only need a handful of ingredients!
Everything except for the dark chocolate and protein powder is pretty much a whole food, and when it comes to the dark chocolate I go for a naturally sweetened, vegan (non-dairy) 70% cocoa version.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Raw cashews
- Gluten free rolled oats (or regular rolled oats if you don’t need GF)
- Natural vegan vanilla protein powder of your choice (with no refined or artificial sweeteners, I used the Orgain brand for this recipe)
- Unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk of choice)
- Pure maple syrup
- Peanut butter (or sunflower seed butter if there’s a peanut allergy)
- Dark chocolate chips or chunks (non-dairy)
What can you do with protein powder?
A common question when it comes to protein powder is… aside from drink it in a shake, what else can you do with it?
Protein powder is super versatile and can be enjoyed in so many more ways than just a shake with water (that’s actually my least favorite way to have protein powder!). Here are some ideas:
- Put it in baked goods (like these easy protein donuts or my protein banana bread)
- Add it to a smoothie or smoothie bowl (try my perfect berry smoothie bowl!)
- Overnight oats (check out these high protein overnight oats recipes)
- Add it to pancakes or crepes (like these strawberry shortcake protein crepes)
- Put them in energy balls or bars
How To Make Protein Cookie Dough
To make this super simple 5-minute protein cookie dough you only need one kitchen tool, a food processor! The processor works to make the dough very easily and quickly using the following steps.
It’s so much better than waiting the whole time for cookies to bake so really, it’s a win-win!
1. Add the oats, protein powder, and cashews to the food processor and process for 30 seconds.
2. Add in the peanut butter and maple syrup and process again for 1 minute.
3. While processing, pour the almond milk into the top of the food processor slowly.
4. You can use a spatula and intermittently stop the processor to scrape the sides.
5. Once a dough is formed transfer to a bowl and fold in the chocolate chunks.
How To Store Protein Cookie Dough
Once you’ve made a batch of this delicious cookie dough you’ll have quite a bit so you have a few options for storage. I put half of my batch into a small glass jar and popped it in the fridge so I could enjoy a spoon here and there when I wanted. The other half of the batch I scooped into balls and popped in a ziplock bag and put in the freezer.
You can roll the dough into balls and keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months. If you choose to freeze the dough just give it about 5 minutes to thaw on the counter before eating.
I hope you have enjoyed this tasty and simple snack or dessert! Be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save it for later and of course, share the love.
Have a wonderful day!
Christal // NITK