The other day I found myself in Bulk Barn. If any of you don’t know what Bulk Barn is I’ll tell you…it’s a dangerous place. There are literally bins, and bins, and bins of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, grains, flours, candy, a heck of a lot of candy, chocolate, powders, potions, elixirs (ok, maybe not potions and elixirs, but you get my drift). I don’t go there a ton but it’s right beside another store I had to visit, so on my way out I saw the big yellow sign and thought, ah, Bulk Barn, why not… let’s do it.
Half an hour later I walked out with a large handful of bags filled with raw nuts, dates, and all the amazing ingredients to make some yummy happenings in the Kitch. One of these bags contained raw pecans. I wasn’t sure what I would do with them but I knew it would be something Fall inspired, flavourful, warm, and filling!
Pecans are a fantastic little nut. They are a bit bitter, but still have an enjoyable distinct flavour and work wonderfully in salads, as part of a crust, or in pie, of course! Pecans are a great source of healthy fats, are bursting with antioxidants, and provide ample amounts of skin perfecting Vitamin E! To say it another way, they are a truly BEAUTIFYING nut!
I decided I would add the delicious pecans to my morning oatmeal routine. I’m now off of my smoothie kick and back on my oatmeal kick! I love to add in variety every morning to keep things exciting so I’ll usually add different berries or sliced banana in my oatmeal. After some consideration, I decided that the crunchy pecans would work wonderfully with pure maple syrup, Fall inspired spices, and loads of heart-healthy hemp!
This past weekend at the Wellness Business Summit I attended in Vancouver I got a goodie bag packed with Manitoba Harvest product samples (score!) and so I included the Hemp Hearts and the Vanilla Hemp Protein in my oatmeal recipe to bring up the protein content!
The oatmeal came together in a jiffy and it was all that I had hoped for… and more; warming, nourishing, filling, sweet, but not too sweet, and wonderfully balanced!
Are you a fan of pecans? In which recipes do you prefer to use them? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- ⅔ cup plain quick oats
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (I used Manitoba Harvest) (divided)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla hemp protein powder (I used Manitoba Harvest)
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix or ground cinnamon
- 10 chopped pecan halves + 6 whole pecan halves
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (divided)
- Between two bowls add the oats, ½ of the hemp seeds, the protein powder, the pumpkin pie spice, the chopped pecans, and ½ of the pure maple syrup.
- Boil water and add to the oat mixture, you may add more water if you like a thinner consistency oatmeal.
- Stir and let thicken. Top each bowl with the remaining hemp seeds, the whole pecan halves and drizzle with the remaining pure maple syrup.
- *I enjoyed this oatmeal with a couple of cooked eggs on the side for added protein!
Have a fantastic rest of the week! Oh, and don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Healthy Snacks Guide in the black bar above the header before you go!
Nutritionist in the Kitch