This healthy vegan mug brownie is super fudgy, chewy, and gooey and takes around 2 minutes to make. It is made with whole-food ingredients and is dairy free, gluten free, and totally plant-based.
Fudgy, Chewy, Perfect Mug Brownie… in minutes!
There’s something really special about a brownie. The slightly crackled top and the decadent, ooey-gooey, chewy, fudgy inside. Did you know this delicious texture is totally achievable to make with my super fast vegan mug brownie? This vegan brownie is so delicious with the most incredible flavour and texture, and to top it off, it’s made with healthy, whole food ingredients!
Whether you are craving a sweet snack, or running short on time to make a dessert, this brownie recipe is definitely worth a try!
What is a vegan mug cake or mug brownie?
Mug cakes (or mug brownies) have been around for quite some time. I remember making my first mug cake on the blog almost a decade ago (here’s the recipe… I still cringe at these photos, lol!).
Essentially a mug cake/brownie is a single serving cake or brownie made in a mug or jar, and usually cooked in the microwave (but often can be baked in the oven as well for a longer period of time in an oven-safe mug).
A vegan mug cake/brownie is made without any animal ingredients – no butter, milk, cream, etc. and rather it uses plant-based alternatives like almond milk, vegan butter, or coconut oil.
Ingredients in a Vegan Mug Brownie
This delicious and incredibly easy vegan mug brownie is made with only 7 main ingredients (not including salt and water). That’s it, that’s all!
While I’m sure you could find a ton of variations for vegan mug brownies or cakes out in the blogosphere, I think keeping it simple is often the best approach.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Blanched almond flour*
- Tapioca starch
- Cocoa powder*
- Coconut palm sugar
- Smooth almond butter
- Baking powder
- Dark chocolate chips (dairy free, vegan)
- Fine sea salt
The almond flour and tapioca create a chewy and fudgy consistency and the coconut palm sugar brings in the perfect amount of unrefined sweetness. The almond butter adds extra fudgy richness to the brownie and the added dark chocolate chips are the “cherry on top”.
Brownie Add-Ins or Swaps/Substitutions:
I love how versatile this simple single-serve vegan mug brownie is. If you are a fan of extra texture or different flavours you can play around with the optional additions or swaps below!
- Swap the almond butter for peanut butter or cashew butter
- Swap smooth almond butter for crunchy almond butter for extra texture
- Add in 1/4 cup crumbled walnuts for a nutty twist
- Add in 1/4 cup hemp seeds for extra protein and texture
How To Make a Mug Brownie
Making this brownie recipe is a really, really easy process. There are only a few simple steps to follow and you really need just a couple of minutes.
I chose to use a small clear jar to make my brownie as it’s a lot harder to photograph a recipe like this in a mug, and I wanted to really show the texture of the brownie.
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Line the bottom of a mug (or glass jar) with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the almond flour, tapioca starch, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
3. Add in the almond butter and water and mix well until a thick batter is achieved.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Press the brownie batter evenly into the bottom of the mug/jar, pressing the top lightly.
6. Microwave for 35 seconds (you may need to adjust this time slightly depending on the power of your microwave…err on the side of less rather than more time or your brownie could end up dry).
7. Remove from microwave and top with a scoop of your favourite vegan ice cream and dig in!
This simple vegan mug brownie is seriously so incredible! If you are a fan of sweet treats, you’ll absolutely love this quick twist on a traditional brownie!
Do you have an extra few minutes to whip up this brownie today? Tell me how it works out in the comments and be sure to pin the photo below the recipe to save this one for later!
More Sweet Treats You’ll Love:
- Best FUDGY Vegan Blondies
- Healthy Almond Flour Oatmeal Cookies
- Healthy Snickers Protein Bar
- Healthy Chocolate Cookies
- Easy & Healthy Peach Cobbler Recipe