This recipe was originally posted in August 2012 and has been revamped and rephotographed for quality and relevance!
I have to admit, I’m a massive egg fan.
Eggs are my staple go-to for breakfast as I find them filling, enjoyable, and I love savoury breakfast options once in a while!
When it comes to eggs I always make sure to buy free range organic (not free run) as that is the best way to ensure that I’m getting eggs that have been ethically produced from hens that roam outdoors. Also free from antibiotics and hormones. The egg world can be a bit confusing with all the free runs and ranges and organic and non-organic, so as a rule of thumb, go for the “organic” and “range” in the title!
When I first started the blog, almost 4 years ago (wow!), I came across this recipe from He and She Eat Clean and thought what a great snack or in-a-rush breakfast idea! I couldn’t wait to make an adapted version of these little egg delights.
These egg muffins are so easy to put together and really a great healthy choice to pair with some oatmeal, roasted sweet potatoes, quinoa, or sprouted grain bread in the morning. Using a mixture of egg whites and whole eggs keeps a nice balance between fat and protein and loading these little muffins with veggies gives them that extra nutritional boost!
The house smelt amazing after I made these, and I couldn’t help but eat a couple as soon as they came out of the oven. The rest of the egg muffins I popped in the fridge and the hubby and I munched on them during the week as a quick snack or breakfast. And, they taste great cold or heated, it’s really up to you!
I also love that this recipe leaves room for tons of variety, you could easily add in chopped smoked salmon and dill, artichokes and olives, or salsa and cilantro for other flavour combinations!
Are you a fan of egg muffins? I’d love to hear what you add to yours in the comments below!
- Olive oil
- 2 large geen onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup sliced fresh basil leaves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 6 whole eggs
- ¾ cup egg whites
- ¼ cup shredded dairy free cheese or organic cheese of choice (optional - I used Daiya Smoked Gouda Farmhouse Block)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat each cup of a 12 cup muffin tin liberally with olive oil to prevent sticking. You can also use coconut oil.
- Combine vegetables and basil in a large bowl.
- Fill each muffin tin ⅔ full with vegetable mixture.
- Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the whisked eggs to fill each muffin cup then top each muffin cup with a sprinkle of cheese (if using).
- Bake the muffins 25 minutes or until they have risen and are slightly browned on the top.
- Serve or keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and grab as snacks to-go!
Have an amazing Sunday!
And, if you are an egg fan like me, take a few minutes today to whip these up for the week!
Nutritionist in the Kitch