I love it when one idea sparks another, then another, then another, then all of a sudden I have something magical in the kitch.
That’s what happened here with this yummy, simple, tasty, and nutritious breakfast bowl!
It started with a mango. A single, bright, fresh and juicy little mango.
I love mangoes (I actually hated them as a kid but developed a love for them as an adult!), not only are they sweet, juicy, hearty, and filling, they are also an incredible source of Vitamin C (one mango contains 75% of the daily recommended intake!), skin beautifyingVitamin A, Vitamin B, fibre for improved digestion, and immune boosting cartoenoids!
I had bought a couple mangoes (the ataulfo variety) and decided to make a chia “jam” by blending fresh mango, adding almond milk, and stirring in the chia seeds with a teensy bit of honey.
The jam turned out great and it sparked another idea to create a yogurt bowl using my favourite coconut yogurt then topping it with the mango chia jam!
Into a bowl I added coconut yogurt, some sweet dark cherries, sliced banana, the mango chia jam, and a sprinkling of Nature’s Path Granola, pistachios, toasted coconut, and finally, a drizzle of honey.
The combination was delightful! I loved how the colours of the ingredients popped, each with their own vibrance and beauty and the mixture of tastes and textures made each bite a little different than the last!
Do you typically start with one inspiring ingredient then let it lead you to a whole new recipe? What is one of your favourite “star ingredients”? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
- For the Mango Chia Jam:
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon honey
- For the Breakfast Bowl:
- 2 tablespoons Mango Chia Jam
- ¾ cup plain Coconut yogurt (or another yogurt of choice such as almond, Greek, or cashew)
- ⅓ cup pitted sweet cherries
- ½ medium banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons granola of choice (gluten free/grain free/vegan if needed!)
- 1 tablespoon pistachios
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- ½ teaspoon honey (or pure maple syrup for strict vegan)
- Prepare the chia jam by blending the mango with the almond milk and honey in a blender until semi-smooth.
- Add the blended mango mixture to a small jar then add in the chia seeds and stir to combine.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Once the chia jam is prepared, take a bowl and add in the breakfast bowl ingredients, first the yogurt, then banana, cherries, and granola, sprinkle on the pistachios and coconut, top with the chia jam, and finish with a drizzle of honey!
Have a lovely rest of your Sunday and try making this bowl sometime this week! Snap a picture and hashtag #nutritionistinthekitch !
Nutritionist in the Kitch